With regular flat slabs and concrete structures, the most attractive part of building is using roof tiles. Roofs are always an attractive structure of any building, making it look unique can change the overall look of a building. Roof tiles are a combination of both function and aesthetics. Even if you made the renovation of your building or house, still something is missing while looking at the house, it might be the roof. In normal cases, it is a lot difficult to change our roof slab. But roof tiles can be replaced if you want after years of use.
The tile roofs can last longer depending on the type and quality. The roof tiles have been in use for years. So, do you want to select the roof tiles but are not sure which one would be the best. Keep on reading to know about the type and its benefits. There are many options in roof tiles from classic to luxurious.
1. Slate Roof Tiles
Slate is the oldest material to be used in tiles, it has been used in many ancient buildings. Slate is a metamorphic natural stone that is unique and beautiful in appearance, usually in gray or black preferably used in blackboards and roofing tiles. The natural slate roof tiles are made from slate quarries. The installation of Some slate roofs can be done with consistent color or with a combination of various colors and textures. The slate is available in a variety of shapes, thicknesses, and colors.
With the appearance, the slate has many functions and characteristics:
- Slate roof tiles look very beautiful with natural cleft surfaces.
- Slate is strong, durable, fade resistance, and long-lasting.
- Slate roof tiles are fireproof roofing material.
- It is made from natural stone, is environmentally friendly and doesn't give off VOCs or other pollution.
- Roof tiles can be recycled after being used as roof tiles for the building.
- One of the greatest benefits of slate roof tiles is that they can insulate the home so as to lower energy costs.
With all these benefits slate has been widely used as roof tiles. One of the disadvantages of slate tile is heavy and needs proper installment. Slate roof tiles are available in different types like Natural Slate Roof Tiles sourced from slate quarries, and it can be also combined with other material like concrete, metal, composite and more.
What is the longevity of Slate Roof Tiles?
One of the crucial things to cover is slate roof tile because slate tile is also a great investment. This tile needs to be installed properly. The exact number of years is never too sure it depends on a variety of things including its maintenance. Slate roof tile has the ability to last from 75 years and close to 100. The great workmanship and weather will decide its longevity.
2. Ceramic Roof Tiles
Ceramic is a material known for its elegance. The ceramic roof tile offers a unique exterior design. Also, the tile is durable and packed with various characteristics. Sometimes the ceramic tile is also known as clay tile because of its origin as clay tiles, basically ceramic is baked clay. As per the origin ceramic is mouldable but using this material can be expensive whereas mass-production as tile creates the least-expensive options.
Ceramic tiles are mostly curved shapes that can be upside-down U or sideways S and some can be flat. While placed on the roof ceramic tiles overlap each other creating a wave effect or flat surfaces.
- Ceramic roof tiles are strong against water, wind, and extreme heat.
- It is long-lasting as the clay contains incredible longevity.
- The tile is durable and can stay up to around 100 years.
- The pigment on ceramic tiles is waterproof and colorfast.
- It is apparently available in different colors availability and blends into the shape as needed.
- Ceramic tiles are fire resistant and resistant to dust or dust mites giving the advantage of enabling the fresh air free from impurities.
Most ceramic tiles are made with natural materials that can be recyclable. Ceramic tile is made with clay that allows the free flow of air. It gives warmer air in winter and cools in the summer. The ceramic tiles are sometimes powerless to heavy impact. Ceramic roof tiles posses beautiful texture and functioning wise also they are long-lasting in strength and color. Being available in numerous profiles, patterns, shapes colors, and styles, ceramic tiles are suitable for many architectures with ease. It gives the touch of elegance, protection, and comfort.
3. Concrete Roof Tiles
Concrete for the roof tile was used first in the 19th century. At starting the concrete tiles were handmade, then semi-automated and now tiles are produced from automated production. Concrete roof tiles are beautiful, long-lasting, and more economical than other roofing products. Concrete roof tiles are made of concrete itself is a combination of sand, cement, water, and iron oxide or pigment. This mixture is molded and then heated together. Concrete roof tiles are installed after removing old roofing material. It can be a little challenging to install. These tiles are quite heavy.
What are the advantages of Concrete Roof Tiles?
- Concrete roof tiles are long-lasting and durable.
- If the tiles are installed with standard code it has the ability to exceed current seismic load requirements.
- Concrete tiles are resistant to damage weathering conditions.
- Concrete is the most versatile material, that has the ability to mimic different material looks.
- These tiles are the best choice when you want tiles that will run for a long period of time.
- Concrete is eco-friendly roofing material and consumes lower energy.
What are the options for concrete roof tiles?
Concrete roof tiles are available in numerous styles and color options. As said earlier concrete tiles have the ability to simulate different materials like clay and concrete tile. The tiles can be made available in many shades and different patterns. Pigments can be blended with cement to obtain the desired color. You can also have lightweight concrete tiles if your structure has the insufficient ability to support the weight of standard concrete tiles
Concrete roof tiles are available in three styles or profiles:
- No curves that are flat tile give a clean look
- These tiles have a medium profile of less than or equal to 1-inch for 5-inch width
- There are high profile tiles that are greater than 1-inch high for 5 inches width
4. Terracotta Roof Tiles
Terracotta means baked earth. This type of clay is used to create roof tiles. These tiles are used for a long time and common material to be used as the roofing material. Terracotta tiles are uniquely available as unglazed and natural red-orange colors and give beautiful finishes and colors. Tiles are installed by placing overlapping and interlocking, available in a range of styles. Terracotta tiles are suitable for both modern and traditionally designed homes. Terracotta roofing tiles come in two shapes, round pan, and flat tiles.
Terracotta tiles are made from terra cotta clay with extrusion, molding, and pressing. The tiles are dried properly and covered with a glaze to increase their durability. Glazing gives a protective finish.
What are the characteristics of Terracotta Roof Tiles?
- Terracotta is highly durable and adds a traditional aesthetic to the building.
- Terracotta tiles do not warp or decompose.
- The terracotta tile color is fade proof.
- Tiles have the ability to stand under weathering conditions like sunny, rainy, windy, snowy, and icy.
- Terracotta has a great insulating ability led to energy-saving cost.
- These tiles can have a lifespan of more than 50 to 100 years.
- Terracotta tiles made from locally sourced clays it is one of the most environmentally friendly materials.
- Terracotta roof tiles are beautiful and safe to be used in bushfire-prone areas, and coastal locations.
- Terracotta is fire-resistant, high-impact-resistant, and waterproof.
How to choosing the best Roof Tiles:
- Design and Structure: Of course, the design matters a lot for roof tiles. As the design is just not meant for the looks but according to its functional design must be suitable. The pitched roof structure changes the whole design of roof tile positioning. In cases of very low pitch tiles should be chosen wisely.
- Budget: Cost is a crucial factor for anything you buy. In the case of roof tile, it can be long-term and a great investment. Decide depending on your budget and also for how long you think you want to apply the roof tile. If you think you want to change after a certain period go for something low cost and easily replaceable. Whereas for the long term you need to go for the quality.
- Appearance: Using roof tile is sometimes just for appearance and sometimes for both aesthetic and function. Depending on the building structure the roof tile should be selected, for example for the traditionally styled building, a sleek modern slate roof tile might look pleasing.
- Climate: According to the region and climate, roof tile function will vary. So, while you pick out a roof tile, understand the climate that is most widely in your region. Also, what kind of material tile can keep making your energy savings.
As seen above, each and every roof tile has its own function and feature. Certain roof tiles are suitable for certain conditions. You can browse through different types of roof tiles and enquire quotes for all kinds of construction materials on the Arkihive mobile application.