Tile Adhesive is the material used to hold tiles together in a functional manner and avoid separation. Tile adhesive is utilized to control the fine cracks and prevent the seeping of water. So as to protect tiles from having any leaks and keep them bonded together. Also tile adhesive maintains the continuity of the flat surface formed with tile and also gives the uniform look.
Tile Adhesive is a mixture of some ingredients like ordinary Portland cement, fine sand, and other added enhanced substances. The mixture is made with its basic properties for bonding tiles and giving it better strength and flexibility. There are various types of tile adhesive, which are made for different types of surfaces and tiles. So, depending on the area, traffic, and required strength.
How is Tile Adhesive used?
Proper application of Tile Adhesive is also very important so as to maintain the good strength of the tiles.
- Starting with cleaning the surface. Ensure the surface is free from stones, oil, grease, or any other materials.
- After cleaning, spray a sufficient amount of water on the tile surface. Let the water get dry. This is to improve workability while working with Tile Adhesive.
- Mix the Tile Adhesive with water, this step depends on the type of Adhesive you are using. If premixed adhesive is there then you just have to open it.
- Spread the Adhesive on the surface, you can use spreading tools. Take the desired amount of Tile Adhesive to achieve a good layer of thickness.
- Fix the tiles immediately and ensure to use a good amount if the other tile or stone is big enough.
- Once done with the application of Adhesive, leave it for 24 hours, and then the remaining process is followed with Grouting.
Once the tiles are installed, grout is used to finish the look of a tile floor. Basically, grouting is the process of filling the mixture in gaps between tiles. Grout is a mixture of cement, lime, pigment, and sand. Available in different pigment options to match with the tiles. Avoid build-up of bacteria on tile, also great in terms of long lasting use.
What are the types of Tile Adhesives?
There is a variety of Tile Adhesives available in the market from different brands. But it is also important to know how to differentiate between them.
Preferably, adhesives are described by their combination, like the adhesive Chemistry, Performance, and other characteristics. The Adhesive can range from Normal to Improved Cementitious.
Tile adhesives are available in different or we can say they are made of different materials. They are ready to be used and the application of tile adhesive is also very easy. Most probably there are two major types, one is Organic Mastic and the other is Thinset Adhesive.
- Organic Mastic is ready to use that is in latex or petroleum and is popular. As organic mastic adhesive needs no mixing and also gives sufficient strength to keep tiles in place. But Organic mastic is also not that good with heat, so should not be used for exterior purposes.
- Thinset Adhesives have increased bond strength and the ability to take more pressure. This is mixed before its application. Also, Thinset adhesive has better bonding strength than organic mastics. There is also a variety of thin-set mortars like water-mixed mortar or dry-set mortar. This is the mixture of Portland cement, sand, and water retention elements. This is the most common type of adhesive used in construction. It is mixed with water before application.
- Another tile adhesive type is Latex Mortar and Acrylic-Mixed Mortar. This has additives to increase adhesion. Ideal for wet or dry installations. Epoxy mortar is a mixture of sand, cement, resins, and hardeners.
The most expensive from above is Epoxy, commonly used is water mixed adhesive, ready to use adhesive are great in emergency or urgency.
Where are Tile Adhesives used?
- Flooring: A most common use of Tile Adhesive is of course Tile Flooring. The most common adhesive used for tile flooring is cement based adhesives. This is available in powder form and mixed with water. These are used preferably because they possess more strength, possess waterproof properties, and are great to be used in wet areas. So, for bathrooms, kitchens, swimming pools, etc. During the renovation, you might have to change the old tile flooring. Here, tile adhesive is used with cementitious properties for fixing tile.
- Wall Cladding or Wall Tiles: Polymer tile adhesives are used for wall cladding. These are mixed with water, are ready to use, and have non-skid properties.
- Fixing Tiles on various bases like Plywood or Wood: So, tile varies with the surface area also. There are tile adhesives directly named after the, fix tiles on plywood. These are polymer-modified cement-based adhesives with good bonding strength.
- Tile Adhesive for different rooms in homes: As for the different rooms, a variety of Tile Adhesive is used. Like for the Living room, high strength adhesive is necessary so as to take high pressure. Whereas for Kitchen and Bathroom the adhesive must be strong at water resistance. Whereas for the kitchen it must be skid resistant and heat or moisture resistant.
Tile adhesives are available in various ranges of strength and properties, nowadays, the rapid setting adhesive is also becoming popular.
Benefits of using Tile Adhesive:
The most common material used as adhesive for tile is Cement. Cement has good properties and has been working well for tiles, even now many prefer cement over other adhesives. Even we use a cement mixture to bond the bricks together. But using cement also has some problems that are overcome by the use of Tile Adhesive. Tile adhesives are getting very popular nowadays. Let's know the benefits of Tile Adhesive:
1. Strength: Strength is of major importance is Adhesive. Tile Adhesive is available with different strength ranges too. Tile Adhesive holds the tiles tightly in place.
2. Gives evenness and no joints: In the case of cement mixture, that can be a mess while used for tile and also sometimes harder to spread. But the Tile adhesive is smooth to be used around and spread. Also, it doesn't take up too much space giving less thickness to the layer. With this, there remains no joint between the two tiles.
3. Easy to use and saves time: As said it is not a mixture of any granular material, but available in smooth paste form. The mixture is already prepared so no adding of ingredients is necessary. Working with Tile adhesive is also very easy because of its smoothness. While working, it saves a lot of time. Speed up the whole process and create no hassle.
4. Almost no wastage: Water based tile adhesive needs to be mixed with just water. And others without water are ready to use. In both cases, it causes very less wastage. Because even the adhesive remains after application it can be used for other work or afterward if stored properly.
5. Enclosed with good properties: Tile adhesive is strong and also possesses many other good properties. Like it acts as a thermal insulator. So good for the heat areas. Also, like water resistance and seepage resistance.
6. Cost-effective: It is okay to consider Tile Adhesive as cost effective after seeing all the above benefits. It consumes very less time and hassles. Available in ready to use form and saves a lot of working time. The application is also very easy. So considering all the benefits Tile adhesive is cost effective.
There are numerous types of Tile Adhesive available in the market, available in different mixes and quality. Choosing a good tile adhesive is also very important in the long run. You can check out the Arkihive for a variety of construction materials. Available on Play Store and App Store. Download Now!